Mittwoch, 2. März 2011

Short little Update

Hey everyone, hope you are doing well. I just wanted to say that I will be writing about the Karuna Kinderhouse soon. Unfortunately however, I am sick and I am trying to get better. It started 4 days ago with just some stomach issues. Once sick however, it is very hard to find appropriate foods. Already for breakfast you get eggs, onions and meat, and goat milk, and what not.
Speaking about meat: Anyone up for trying this delicious beef or chicken, stored so safely and hygienically next to the road?
Got Beef?

Got Chicken?

Well anyway, two days ago it got very bad. Since then I have not been able to keep in any fluids or solids. (And I wasn’t aware of the sounds a stomach can make). I assume I ate something bad and on top of that was overly exhausted.
Quick inserted anecdote: My Nepali friend told me that taking a bus to work is not a good idea and that since it is only 7 km I should get a bike. So I was driven to work on my first day and once there I wanted to buy a used bike. Well long story short, it didn’t work out but the people in the office said I can have the office bike for the day. In my naïve western thinking I thought of a normal, working bike and accepted. Oh what mistake ;)
It took me 1:45h to reach the Kinderhouse. Instead of 7km, the way is more than 12km long and mostly uphill. The roads are narrow and crowded. The bike is a children’s bike and the saddle fell off shortly after I left the office. So I rode the first 6km standing, and walked the rest. (The way people were staring, I assume they have never seen a light-skinned person before).

You can't really see how small it is, but you can see that they fixed the saddle NOW.... great.

The ride was enough to convince me that I rather learn Nepali and accept some detours and take the bus than try and bike every day in the smoke, smell, trash, etc.
Burning trash in the middle of the street
Unfortunately, I still had to ride the bike back in the morning. And I did/ tried. I made it – however late and exhausted. At this point I really wanted to just sit close to the toilet and rest. But I had to walk around the office to get introduced (again!) and I had to listen to a security officer read ten pages to me, word for word, (which I had as a print out in front of me), while all the time forcing myself to smile in order to be polite. Half way through the day I felt terrible and I asked permission to leave early. I walked 20minutes to the bus station, and because life is mean sometimes I could not find a single shop. Desperately in need for bottled water (can’t drink anything else here), I kept dragging myself further and finally found a tiny little “thing” that had two bottles left for sale. Finally in the microbus, I had to stand all the way, feeling my fever increasing by the second. I cannot tell you how glad I was when I reached my bed.
Well so I have not ate or drunk anything yesterday. I have completely emptied my stomach and my bowel and it feels much better now. Fortunately it is a holiday in Nepal today, so I have one more day to take rest and sleep. I still feel dizzy and when I tried to drink a tea this morning my stomach again rebelled. I can barely walk the stairs up or down and all I want is sleep. I am sure I will be better soon. Just no more weird stuff to eat for me J  
Take care, and till soon!
Annika

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen