Sonntag, 27. Februar 2011

First impressions

Namaste everyone!
This is my first post, and I decided to write it in English, as I have many friends from around the world who (hopefully) are also interested in reading this blog. *Sollte das Englisch ein Problem für jemanden sein, lasst es mich wissen und ich verfasse einfach zwei Versionen*

I have been in Nepal for about two weeks now. That definitely doesn't make me a Nepal expert or even a Nepal-knower. However, I have been around the country quite a bit during that time, I have seen the rural and urban areas, the flat and hilly regions, and I have spoken to many people. So I think I am ready to share my totally biased and personal first impressions. (Just a quick overview)

This is Nepal:
A beautiful fascinating landscape with
the highest mountains in the world, a unique flora and fauna, and a people that is as varied as its climate.
In my first 10 days I went trekking with my brother Gregor and his girlfriend Franziska. Our friend Shreeram from Nepal joined us. Every day we walked for hours (mostly up and mostly steep stairs :)) to reach a different point in the Annapurna region. Our exhaustions were rewarded by the most beautiful landscapes. The mountains and forests and villages are just a joy to watch. The lodge owners were always nice and welcoming and the food was great.
Also the Nepali children are so cute. I love smiling at them, which is obvious because they are the only ones who will smile back. I think the children and the women are the people who will bring about change in this country very soon. The women always wear their beautiful traditional clothing, and they work very hard from early in the morning to late at night. Kids are eager to learn from foreigners and they speak English well.


Unfortunately this is also Nepal:
In our time, especially in Kathmandu, we were confronted with what it means to be a third world country. Nepal has many many problems, and although people are trying to forget or even repress them, they are there. To summarize them:
It is loud, smelly, toxic, trashy, crowded, hectic, and did I mention loud and smelly and trashy?
The picture to the right shows the holy lake. and as you can see, it doesn't look so holy anymore. People have so much trash and they have no place to bring it but to throw it directly into the rivers (good for the water quality), or to burn it next to their houses (good for the toxic smog that lingers everywhere). In the absence of any trash disposal sights, people are forced to inhale or the toxics and drink the polluted water which makes them sick. And everyone is sick here. I dare you to walk through the streets of Kathmandu and try to count 10 seconds without anyone snuffling and spitting his snot directly in front of your feet.
There are also an estimated one million wild dogs and chickens and cows. And the dogs fight and the roosters crow. Always. And very loud. Which reminds me, the city is never quite. It seems that Nepalis go to bed at 2 AM and wake up at 5 AM in the morning and there is no way you are able to sleep just a second longer than they (because they make their awakening known). The traffic is not helping very much either. It is CRAZY! I won't drive a car here, even for money! People are driving with, let's be nice, not so much foresight as necessary. You won't be able to survive a taxi ride without any bruises or head injuries. And you won't be able to walk away without a hearing impairment. Honking is in. Everyone does it. It seems to be a sign to indicate a passing maneuver, a greeting, a warning, a cussing, a turning, a speeding up or a slowing down. So if you want to drive here: honk every 4 seconds, and you will be fitting in just fine. :)

Okay so that was it for now (my battery is dying), I hope the short description allows you to see the irony in the life of Nepalis. It is a wonderful country with a lot of potential. However it has serious problems. My next blog entry will be about the living conditions I have faced so far, and about how I will live the next few months.  So much I can say already: be grateful for everything you have over there in your western homes, you are blessed and live in a palace!

Namaste for now!
I miss my family and friends very much, but I am thankful for the opportunity to gain valuable experiences.
Stay tuned in,
Annika

1 Kommentar:

  1. I wish I could be there sharing in your experience! Someday I will travel, someday I hope! Keep writing and sharing! I love it!
    Pass auf dich auf, sicher sein und eich vermisse dich!

    AntwortenLöschen